A selection of articles, exercises and resources for increasing the cultural competency among Wayside staff.
LGTBQ Articles, Pamphlets & Guides
Up from the Pain, Charles Blow. Sexuality can be complex, as this firsthand account beautifully illustrates.
Training for LGBTQI Clinicians
Activity Exercise Similarities and Differences
Gender Expression Defined
INTERVIEWING TIPS for gathering SOGIE information from children and youth.docx
Signs That You May Be Acting Prejudicial towards Others
Training Integrating strategies - LGBTQI Clinicians
LGBTQ Guide FINAL 5-21-2015
Effective Ways of Being an Ally - Wellesley College
GLSEN Safe Space Kit 2016
Minimizing Unconscious Bias- Wellesley College
LGBTFieldGuide- Workers Rule
NASW LGBT Youth moving-the-margins
Parent Resources from GLAD
Resources for LGBTQ Youth
Helpful links to resources for working with LGBTQ youth, provided by Vickie L. Henry, Youth Initiative Director & Senior Staff Attorney for Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD)
LGBTQ Resources for Teachers and Parents
Provided by the Cooperative Educational Service Agency 6
- A World of Difference Institute Anti-Defamation League's World of Difference Project. This is a booklist of LGBT children's books.
- Advocates for Youth Advocates for Youth helps young people make informed and responsible decisions about their reproductive and sexual heath.
- Ambiente Joven Information and community for Latino GLBT youth
- Children's National Medical Center Outreach program for children with gender-variant behaviors and their parents located in Washington DC
- Colage - Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere COLAGE is a national movement of children, youth, and adults with one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer (LGBTQ) parent/s. Has materials developed by young people
- Concerned About your Child's Gender Behaviors If you are concerned about your child's gender behaviors - a guide for parents.
- Dealing with Legal Matters Surrounding Students? Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity This Fall 2004 publication by an NSBA (National School Board Association) -led coalition of organizations provides practical guidance on schools? legal responsibilities with respect to issue of students' sexual orientation, including harassment and bullying, curriculum, and other school programs and policies.
- Family Acceptance Project A community research, intervention and education initiative to study the impace of family acceptance and rejection on the health, mental health and well-beig of lesbian, gay and bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth.
- Family Equality Council An organizaion dedicated to the issues facing gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender parents.
- Family Equality Council - Parent Groups Find local parent groups in your community.
- GLSEN - Gay Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network includes many activities, articles and links for teachers.
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network Great posters available with downloadable guide for using them in your school.
- GLBT Encyclopedia An encyclopedia of GLBT persons and history.
- GS for Safe School Madison's local group working for safe schools for LGBT students.
- Helping Families to Support their LGBT Children This FREE resource guide offers information and resources to help practitioners throughout health and social service systems implement best practices in engaging and helping families and caregivers to support their lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) children.
- Human Rights Campaign Family portion of this site covers relationships, parenting and home life for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people and their families. Within the family section is an education sub-section.
- National Youth Coalition The National Youth Coalition is a social justice organization that advocates for and with young peole who are LBGTQ
- True Colors Sexual Minority Youth and Family Services of Connecticut True Colors works to create a world where youth, adults and families of all sexual orientations and gender identities are valued and affirmed. They challenge all forms of oppression through education, training, advocacy, youth leadership development, mentoring and direct services to youth and those responsible for their well-being.
- PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights.
- Partners Against Hate This site is a joint effort of the Anti-Defamation League, the Leadership Conference Education Fund, and the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence and implements a program of outreach, public education, and training. Featuring both online and offline resources and support with downloadable teaching materials for elementary and middle schools.
- The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project Inclusive school curriculum advocates
- Rainbow Rumpus Magazine An online magazine for kids of LGBT parents. Has a parent and teacher section.
- Safe Schools Coalitin More resources for teachers, many downloadable.
- Safe Schools for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Students DPI is working to help create safe and supportive school environments for all youth, including those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT). Visit DPI?s new lgbt page for information and valuable links.
- Safe Zone posters Free downloadable safe zone and "I'm willing to talk about ..." posters.
- The Trevor Project The Trevor Project operates the only nationwide, around-the-clock suicide prevention helpline for gay and questioning youth. Everyday, the Trevor Project saves lives through its free and confidential helpline, its website and its educational services. Also see: http://donteraseyourqueerfuture.org/
- TransParentcy TransParentcy's mission is to support the Transgender Parent, and their advocates (lawyers, mental health professionals, friends, family) by providing information and resources to diffuse and/or disspell the myths about any adverse impact being transgendered/transsexual might have on one's children.
- TransYouth Family Allies TransYouth Family Advocates is a coalition of parents, friends and caring adults dedicated to educating and raising public awareness about the medical and cultural challenges faced by children with gender variant and gender questioning identities and the families who love them.
- What Does Gay Mean? Downloadable booklet advising how to talk with kids about sexual orientation.
- Youth Guardian Services Provides safe and monitored internet services to gay, bi, or trans young persons between the ages of 13-25.
- Youth Resource High school oriented website.
Games & Exercises